Both the free/trial and paid versions of MetroTalk support push notifications. Push notifications are sent when you receive a new SMS or Voicemail, and they can be enabled through the Settings page of the application (part 1). In addition, a one-time configuration is required every time you use a new Google Voice account (part 2). For accounts that have already been configured, you only need to repeat part 1 if you decide to disable/re-enable notifications, or if you want to use a new device.
1. Fill out your Google Voice username and password. Make sure to check the box next to “push notifications” and select “save changes” at the bottom of the page.
2. If the request is succesful, and you have previously configured this Google Voice account (steps 3-10), push notifications are now active for your phone! If not, keep reading. A button labeled “configure push notifications” will now appear on your screen. Click this button, and write down the code which will appear on your screen; we will need it for the next part.
We now need to configure your email account for handling new notifications. The following instructions assume that you have a Gmail account associated with your Google Voice account. If this is not the case, you should be able to find instructions on how to perform the various steps, from your email provider. Feel free to contact us for any questions.
3. First, we need to enable email notifications for your Google Voice account. Log into your account at http://www.google.com/voice first, and then visit the Voicemail & Text page in Google Voice’s settings.
4. Check the boxes next to:
- Email the message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Forward text messages to my email
- Transcribe Voicemails
and click “Save changes”.
5. While you are still logged into your Google account, visit the Forwarding and POP/IMAP page in Gmail’s settings. Click the “Add a forwarding address” button.
6. As your forwarding address, enter the unique code generated in step 2, followed by “@metrotalk-windowsphone.com”. So if the code is “id+ung51nsx1jma” like our example, then your account’s forwarding address is “email@example.com”. Press “Next”, “Proceed”, “OK”. At this point, please wait 30 seconds for the email address to be automatically verified.
7. After 30 seconds, visit the Filters page in Gmail’s settings. Click on “Create a new filter”.
8. In the “From” field, enter “txt.voice.google.com OR firstname.lastname@example.org”. Click “Create filter with this search”.
9. Click on “Skip the Inbox (Archive it)” and on “Forward to”. Please select the email address you just added in step 6. If the address is not offered as an option, please wait 1 more minute and repeat steps 8 and 9.
10. Congratulations, your account is now configured to receive push notifications!